BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday 14 October 2009

Analysis of Continuity Project

Analysis of Continuity Project:
This video focuses on including the conventions of the thriller genre in order to create a title sequence which uses continuity successfully. I used techniques such as red herrings, dramatic irony and non-diegetic sounds to build up suspense and tension.
The video contains all the shots I have learnt about in order to convey a meaning to the story. The clip starts off with a mid shot of the character which allows us to establish that she is the main person as she is the first shown. Next there is an over the shoulder shot to allow the audience to see what the character is seeing and enabling it to set the scene for them. Following this is the shots where we are introduced to the second character. In order to show the relationship between the two, I have used the 180 degree rule. I had to make sure that the camera was equally spread apart from the two characters in order for the positioning of the audience to work and for it not to be awkward for them with the camera angles changing. Then we see a two shot showing how the relationship between the two characters has changed. It was especially hard to shoot this shot as I had to capture it from outside the window and the umbrella and the light was reflecting onto it and the characters face making it hard to see her.
At this point of the clip, we are able to establish who the antagonist is and who the protagonist is. The next series of shots are close ups and extreme close ups. The close up of the antagonists face and the weapon illustrate her true intentions and feelings. The extreme close up of the protagonists face shows fear and confusion which tells us that she was not expecting the attack.
I felt that ending the shots off with the image of the weapon would leave the audience with an enigma and would make them ask questions such as why is she attacking her? and has she done anything to be attacked for? which would prompt them to want to continue watching in order to find out what happens.
If I was to shoot this whole section again, I would hope for the weather to be better to make it easier to take the pictures or I would have to find a way to take the pictures I want and for my reflection not to be showing. I could do this by changing the angle or the position I am standing in. I would also retake the pictures in the classroom and improve the mise-en-scene so that only the things that need to be in the picture are in it.


0 comments: